Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Creative Funny Sayings

Ca


It is now a year since I arrived in Thailand.
I've seen so much and so little time ...

The anniversary falls this year at the same time as the Chinese New Year. Very followed here because many Thai have Chinese origins.
This is an opportunity to review the past 12 months.

I learned a lot. It was the goal, and that contract completed. Learned about Thailand on Asia, their cultures, people ... but also about myself. I discovered
things I like here but also things that I dislike.

I come now to the point where my love for this country comes from frustration. Frustrating to see so many wasted opportunities for a country that could shine internationally far more than its beaches, smiles and pretty girls.
There was a time when, in France for example, students learned that some smaller Asian countries were taking flight. Thailand was among them. Today, the four dragons are Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Siam remained on the floor, clinging to the starting blocks.

I think that's the downside: we love a country, then we feel concerned ...


There are many things that do not work well here. And that does require a little willingness on the part of the right people to radically change everything. But now, among those things that seem to be the source of the blockage of Thai society, there is a very powerful illiberal law here that makes me speak in veiled terms.
The mere fact that I hesitate to express my thoughts into the public what this blog is intolerable to me and sufficient evidence that there is " something rotten in the Kingdom of Siam .
Maybe a little weak on my part, because if I do not think any of my opinions is wrong, I still prefer to abstain.

By cons, nothing prevents those who are interested to go for a ride on the net with simple keywords like "censorship in thailand" and come back to ask me questions by email ;-)
I followed, you will have read with great interest the events that marked the Thai political year of 2008.
I dug, read Searched information and gradually built my opinion. This will probably change, as my discovery of the country further, but I think I have managed to scrape the layer of varnish covering "Amazing Thailand".


On a slightly less serious, I enjoyed the Chinese New Year to go to Yaowarat (Chinatown) to attend shows and events planned for the festivities. It is also a rare opportunity to walk in the neighborhood of Bangkok without the constant stream of cars ... but mostly, you know me, it's the perfect opportunity to fill for the rumen Cheap!

新年 快乐!




0 comments:

Post a Comment